Monday, March 29, 2010

The "not-so" Great Room

Welcome, friends !!  Ah, the flowers are blooming ... the grass is turning green ... and Spring is in the air !!  Yay !!

Yes, it's time to throw open the pollen-laden windows and spruce the place up a bit.  Come on in and take a peek at our great room !!  Unfortunately, I had to replace my computer, and I lost a lot of my pics.  So, let's just pretend you saw this room when it had matching green recliners, green sofa and animal print rug (it was just too matchy-matchy).  *Yawn*

NOW, here we are with a racy red sofa ... updated fireplace ... comfy, striped accent chairs and a traditional, larger rug with all the colors I love.  (Feel free to click on pics to make them larger.)




Having my husband's permission to "retire" the recliners, I promised him I'd choose super comfy chairs and add an ottoman to "his" chair so he can rest his hoofs.  The chairs I selected literally *suck you in* ... great for "Lifetime" movie days !!  They are *dressed* in a really pretty striped *satin-y* fabric.  I chose a coordinating paisley fabric for the ottoman, oversized pillows and toppers to the panels framing the french doors.

                           

On to the fireplace ... updated the mantle by adding matching floral arrangements on each side (the "before" shot is in my header) ... not the greatest (need to add some gold flowers in there), but they'll do for now !!



I *just* found this beautiful, petite chair at a local antique store. The fabric is gorgeous in person ... it's a *satin-y* gold (which ties in nicely with my accent chairs), and the uphostery tacks are such a great accent !! I really do like antiques ... but, may I just say that I'm always a bit spooked by the stories that *could* be behind them ... I know that sounds weird. I asked the gentleman I bought it from to please do the voodoo/ghost removal ceremony before I left. He laughed and waved his hands in a silly fashion over the chair ... I'm sure he thought I was ker-azy !!




My parents have this same accent chest in their home.  I loved it so much, I just *had* to have one for our home, too.  It's the perfect size and height for the niche that is right beside our fireplace.  Too, the drawers are nice and deep, serving as great storage, too !!


A closer look (even though it makes the background color look more beige vs. gold-ish):


Just a little side table:


This brown/black accent table also serves as great storage for more of my knick-knacks.  I'm just never satisfied with it, nor the accessories on it, as it seems a bit "blah" ... so, I just ordered gold mirrored lamps to replace the monkey ones ... I'm hoping they do the trick !!


My Easter bunnies, which used to be in my kitchen, found a new home here, too:


 We just recently added the chair molding and shadowboxes to this wrap around half wall.  I love how it ties in with the same molding/shadowboxes that in the neighboring dining room (not pictured):


This inexpensive, fun table runner came from HomeGoods. I thought it would lighten up the otherwise dark coffee table a bit.


And, of course, seeing as I'm on a shell kick lately, I filled this glass bowl on the coffee table with gifts from the sea:


Well, folks, that's all I got.  I'm open to any and all suggestions to improve my space !!  And, too, I give you my solemn promise to learn better photography skills !!  I'm very envious of all you talented peeps who know how to shoot in the right light, at the right angle and make your pics look as though they're jumping out of the computer.  Your talents are inspiring me !!

Thanks again for stopping by,


I'm linking up with:

Metamorphosis Monday at BNOTP

Make Your Monday at Twice Remembered

Made it Monday at Persimmon Perch

Make it for Monday at Cottage Instincts

Toot Your Horn Tuesday at A Silly Little Sparrow

The Spring Mantel Party at A Soft Place to Land

Before and After Party at Thrifty Decor Chick

53 comments:

  1. Your home is stunning. Everything is just beautiful. Your moldings and all the petty white trim is so pretty. You have great color sense and everything works well together. The two painted chests are just gorgeous. Such lovely pieces. Thanks for the tour. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca, I stopped by yesterday to see if I had missed anything you had added. So glad you posted all your new additions. Your home looks so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sure is one GREAT Room Becca! You certainly have a knack for decorating. I got lots of inspiration from this post. You Southern Gals are SO talented!!!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becca, you've been busy and it shows! Love all your new stuff and the way your room flows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm like you, I just would love to take better pictures to have that 'wow' factor that I see at some other blogs.

    Everything looks so beautiful. Love the mantel. Those chairs do look super comfy.

    Those bunnies are just adorable!

    I'm like you about the antiques.I'm always thinking the worse case scenario..some freaky thing happened when the owners had them..I'd be throwing some holy water all over mine,,LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becca your home is beautiful! I have been moving things all around today and trying to change up some accessories!~ Your post was very inspiring, and you gave me some ideas:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ~*Becca*~

    My goodness, VA-VA-VOOM! Your great room is GORGEOUS! Your photography is beautiful, so pretty and vibrant. I love the chairs and ottomans and I like the contrasting material. I would have never thought to do that but it works so well. Boy, I could sure use your decorating abilities in my home. One of my favorite things about your home is how well you know how to accessorize. The color combinations and the placement of your decorative items is so eye appealing. I also like your bar stools with the little pillows...so cute! Well, Becca, I'm impressed! You've outdone yourself again. Bravo!

    Thanks for sharing! You truly are inspiring! ~Liz =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pictures are better than mine, Becca, so you're ahead of the game as far as I'm concerned! Love your room redo. That little accent chair is so pretty and looks perfect by the fireplace. Love your bunnies, but I think I told you that when you first showed them to us. That chest is gorgeous ~ I love pieces like that myself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very beautiful makeover!!
    Gorgeous home!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a charming room, don't think I can pick a favorite thing as I like it all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, it all looks SO GORGEOUS!!!! Will you come work on MY rooms???? LOL....
    You have such a great eye!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your family room is stunning. I love the new furniture. Everything has personality (and it must be yours!!). You have done a great job! Oh...love the antique chair. Usually you have to reupholster something like that so you are lucky! Well done!

    Happy Tuesday!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Becca you just completly blow me away with your gorgeous home and all of it's fabulous decor'! It's stunning in every way. I adore the monkey lamps and of course all of your unique tables. ~WOW! They are all just exquisite. I want one of each please.

    Luuuurve your home! Where did you find those tiny precious pillows on your barstools? How cute!

    PS I can't really buy old things at all due to my severe allergies. I'm a complete mess right now with all of this pollen. Your new chair is amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Becca, you know I love that red sofa. Great chairs and I am sure you don't miss the recliners at all. Your pictures are fine. I just got a new camera, but it still is not the fancy one I wanted. I will have to wait for that one. I just put slipcovers on my red sofa and chair, but just for the spring and summer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. FABULOUS~!! I love it all, the furniture, accessories, everything..
    Enjoy ever moment in your new room.

    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
  16. It isn't a not so great room. It is a AWESOME, COMFY, WARM and COZY room!!!! You just have a knack when it comes to putting things together. Love it and so glad to see you on here!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have such a gorgeous home and great taste! Love how your TV is on that beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another beautiful room Becca! I love the red sofa. It really pops in there and looks great with the other pieces. I'm DROOLING over that handpainted chest! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your side table that holds your tv and the clock above your fireplace. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Becca, Your great room is fabulous!!! You know I love that red sofa, and the chairs beside it are just perfect. Love the fabric! The chest with the parrots is the prettiest I've seen!! The chair you got at the antique store is pretty too...I love antiques, especially if they are in good shape. This great room is definitly GREAT! Have a good day, Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone for your sweet comments !! I'm humbled by, and very appreciative of, your kind words. I'm still not happy with it though, and will continue to futz and futz with it !! Thanks again for stopping by !!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Becca, I just found your blog and read your profile,......I think I have the same disorder!
    I am constantly wanting to change things.
    I love your home!! *Fabulous!*
    Can't wait to see what you do next.
    *Hug's*
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  23. Everything looks gorgeous, so cozy too. I love all the colors and the chairs... oh wow, love em.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful cozy room! I want that chair, what a great find!
    Take care
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW! Will you decorate our house. That is just crazy beautiful.

    Found you from Kristens. Have blogged with her for a long time.

    Hope you dont mind if i follow along Becca. Feel free to visit us at The Fort anytime, you are always welcome.

    Love and Prayers,

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  26. ~Hi Becca~

    I wanted to stop by and thank you *so* much for your advice on my kitchen. You have no idea how much I appreciate it! Not sure what I'm going to do, but paint does seem to be the easier of the two. I have some time to think about it, so we'll see...:)Thanks again!

    XOXO ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  27. HELLO!!! YOUR HOME IS BEAUTIFUL, ALL THE CHANGES ARE JUST SOOOO PRETTY, I LOVE IT!!!!
    IM LOVING YOUR THREE RABBITS...LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a beautiful room. I love your fireplace and that hand painted chest is gorgeous.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  29. Becca, you have done such a wonderful job on this room it is beautiful, love the new chairs, they are just right and the three rabbits are the cutest ever, you are working way toooo hard....

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Becca,
    I came by from Liz's blog. We're in SC too. Not by the beach though. I wish! You family room is wonderful. The chairs do look soooo comfy. The whole room has a warm glow to it. I have decorating ADD too. Changing ALL THE TIME.(could be some of the Gemini too) Since I've starting making slipcovers though, that has kept me away from the paint bucket. Whew!
    Well, nice to meet you.
    Kelly :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful room Becca, makes you want to sit a spell! And even longer!! Have a blessed Easter, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  32. Becca, I throughly enjoy your style and have passed the Sunshine Award on to you. You can paste the logo on a post and then pass it along to twelve other bloggers.
    Pam @ Becolorful

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a beautiful room. I love that clock above your mantel. You have an eye for detail!

    ReplyDelete
  34. your home is beautiful! I love all the details, great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Just Beautiful. I have to ask though...where did you get your clock on your mantel? I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a beautiful great room - every detail is just perfect. And I love your recent chair purchase.

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hey girl! I just posted my new entertainment cabinet and would love to know your opinion on painting it! Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello Becca~ what a talent you have for design. I love the beautiful rich tones carried throughout, especially with all the fine details you applied in this luxurious setting.
    "BRAVO!"

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you Becca! I'm doing much better thanks in part to my friends like you. I really appreciate your support from day one. You're the best my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Red is totally my thing. I could do a red couch if I ever got to redecorate.

    Thanks for the tour, the room is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks Becca! I hope to see a new post from you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. ~Hi Becca~

    How are you? =)

    Thank you for the sweet comments on my weight loss post. *Smile*

    ((Hugs)) ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  43. Just found your blog and I knew as soon as I saw the pics at the top that I would love it!! Then I read your profile and laughed out loud because you could totally be describing me....rearranging, painting, obsessive decorating...check! Anyway I am looking forward to following along!

    ReplyDelete
  44. ~Hi Becca~

    I miss you. =) I bet you are busy enjoying the warm weather, OR you are onto another big project. LOL!

    Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog post! *smile* You're the best! =)

    Hugs and Love, ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hello,
    Your home is simply stunning! Love all your decorating and the rooms are just gorgeous. Where are you??? You should be posting more of your fab stuff girl...you are good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi Becca, LOVE your beautiful and inviting home.I enjoy visiting your gorgeous home and look forward to future posts. Your Christmas home tour was stunning.Emelia

    ReplyDelete
  47. HI I've come by a few times and no one is in ???

    Miss your posts....

    All the best,
    Kathy :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thanks for your sweet visit my friend! I hope all is going well for you and your family. I've missed your gorgeous posts and you.

    Blessings, ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. What a beautiful home you have! I love the fireplace and the chair with the lettered pillow...

    Rene'
    @BargainHoot

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hi Becca, we have missed you in blog land. Thanks for the comment on my paint changes and trim. The color ended up being custom because the first sample I liked was too dark when it dried. Then I picked a color that I thought looked like the too dark one when wet, but it ended up being too yellow. So the guy fixed it for me and so I have no one paint color to call it.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I just stumbled across these pics! I have a red couch and chair and was looking for ideas to decorate with them. I LOVE your room, especially the wall color and I have a big island in my kitchen, and I love the molding you did there. Fantastic idea. Can you share your wall paint color with me? That gold color! Thanks, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love your living room! everything is beautiful especially the Easter bunnies, they are adorable!

    chesterfield lounge

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!