Sunday, January 31, 2010

Please pass the potatoes ....

May I just say you guys are the best!  You really know how to make a new gal feel welcome here in blogland.  I've loved reading all of your thoughtful comments, of which I do not deserve!  Thank you!  And, I have to give a special "shout out" to Cindy at Cottage Instincts (for highlighting my humble guest "loo" redo), Beth at The Stories of A to Z (for sharing my fireplace/mantle tranformation) and Kim at My Domestic Bliss (for mentioning, and relating to, my admission of my ADD (Attention Decorating Disorder)! 

If you feel like staying for a bit, I'd love to show you our breakfast area, highlighting a few changes we made to it.  As always, feel free to enlarge the pics by clicking on them.

BEFORE: Imagine a big ol' red wall (RL Stadium Red) ... try (AND try) as we did, nothing seemed to work.  ANYthing we put there seemed to get swallowed by the tall wall with vaulted ceiling.  And, as the kitchen cabinets share the same wall (I'll take you there soon), symmetry and balance went by the wayside, which drove me ker-azy!  Sorry this isn't a better pic:


AFTER:  Welcome dry bar (magically built by our friend, Paul)!  We're super pleased with how it turned out ... love how it fills the space.  We wanted it to have a few different features than the kitchen cabs, so we chose rope-accented molding, legs and feet ... a metallic backsplash ... black countertop and glass accent doors.  I love that the center cab is shorter and bumps out (Paul's idea).


We really enjoy the convenience of the wine cooler ... Chardonnay? Shiraz? Champagne? Sparkling Cider? What can I get ya'?


I did a not-so-great job of adding the metallic backsplash (from Lowe's), hoping for a bit of pizazz.  And, when the budget allows, we plan on changing out the counter to Golden Beach granite, which would then match our kitchen countertops:


I cannot tell you how much I've loved having the extra storage, too !!

Aside from the dry bar, we traded the blinds and panels for roman shades (done in a whimsical polk dot fabric) to add a bit of fun coordination to the cornice (both treatments were done by my great friend and neighbor, Christy). 


I recently grabbed this accent table at Kirklands, which I'm still "futzing" with:


And, lastly, I'm lovin' the oversized lazy susan I recently scored at Tuesday Morning ... really like how it resembles the top of a wine barrel and is the perfect fit for our kitchen table. I'm testing out my Southern Living tray on there (which I filled with faux grapes, wine corks and wine glasses, one of which is filled with a small votive *melted* candle).


Well, that's all for now ... it's almost time for football and a hot bowl of white chicken chili, topped with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and Scoops ... yummy !! 


Stay warm and be safe if you are one of the many surrounded by snow and icy roads !!




I'm linking up with:

Sarah at Thrifty Decor Chick

Susan at Between Naps on the Porch

Make Your Monday at Twice Remembered

Made It Monday @ Persimmon Porch

Toot your Horn Tuesday @ A Silly Little Sparrow

Do It Yourself Day at A Soft Place to Land

Make it Yours Day at My Backyard Eden

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

44 comments:

  1. Becca, Your home is beautiful and I love your use of space. And what time do we get to eat the dip? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! I would love to have a wine cooler in my kitchen and how convenient to serve it all right there. Love your window treatment! Your friend and neighbor did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! The addition makes the wall! and I love love love the Lazy Susan! Lucky you! Kirkland's is one of my all time favorite haunts :) Thank you so much for sharing. Love getting fresh ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's beautiful. What great creativity for an awkward wall. I love your table by the way - it's a great size.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great ideas! Execution is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great additon! Practical and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks wonderful! Great addition to the room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE THAT NEW ADDITION! looks beautiful all of it! WAY TO GO!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Becca I am always so impressed with your amazing home! I just love this built in cabinet addition to your kitchen wall. It really fills up the large wall space and is so functional. Your accessories are always so pretty and just perfect. The new piece from Kirklands is beautiful! I wish I could keep on buying more tables but I'm out of room. He! I just love em' all!

    GORGEOUS job on the entire room! ~WOW!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant solution for the wall. Beautiful and functional...it doesn't get any better than that!! Love the wine cooler! :-)

    xoxo
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, WOW, WOW!!! Can Paul come over to my house next? What an amazing job! Once again, you sure know how to accessorize beautifully. I love the colors and window treatments. Oh, and that Rooster...where did you find him? Everything looks so warm and cozy. You are a great photographer. You have been one busy girl with all of the added details in your home, just lovely! ((Hugs)) Liz

    P.S. Your chicken chili looks delish. Guess what? I have the same bowls/plates...hehe! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, great idea. Love the cabinetry with the red and love your window dressing.. nice colors. mishelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it great when that "symmetry thing" gets worked out? Makes me crazy, too. Great job and lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your home and love the window treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your eating area - so warm and rich !
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  16. GORGEOUS!!! That wall was just begging for that beautiful bar area and I love the whole eating area. I am so loving your blog and decorating style!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very uber fabulous! Functional and gorgeous! Great transformation!

    Cheers!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you've done a great job with the area. I love the cabinets and how it fills up the space, love the roman shades, and wish I had that lazy susan. Sweet score!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your new addition....can you send Paul my way...please?? That lazy susan is great, what a cute idea and I like the way you have enhanced the barrel top theme.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love everything that you have done. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely LOVE your new addition!! You have inspired me to tackle a small, tall wall in our den that I've been fretting over for 12 years. I will definitely be back for more ideas and to take peeks at your beautiful home.

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW, I love it! Congrats on a beautiful job!!!
    God's blessings,
    Sarah :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! What a difference!! Your new addition looks wonderful!
    How nice to have a wine cooler! Very cool! The window treatment looks beautiful too...great job! Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  24. Becca,
    Excellent dry sink! I would enjoy the extra storage too!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the way the new addition turned out and what a wonderful place for new storage, wow I sure could use more built in storage like that. Lovel the lazy susan from Tuesday Morning, it looks wonderful with the grapes and wine...so creative...Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey Girlie!! Thanks for the shout-out - I'm very humbled. I love, love, love that breakfast area. You have such im"becca"ble taste. The window treatments - perfect! The centerpiece - magnificent! The new cabinetry? SUPERB! SO glad you have a blog!
    xoxo, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  27. Showcased your blog tonight! Love what you did with the room!!
    http://johnhoodfamily.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-decorating-site.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. I do not think my comment went thru the first time.

    Good Job on decorating!!! Did you recently buy the Lazy Susan? I love it and want one!!! I have a Wine Room/Butler Pantry which is decorated in a Wine Theme. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your dry bar is stunning! It is a gorgeous piece for the wall. The window treatments are fabulous - love the fabric you picked! You have a great eye and the room looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ooo, I wish I had a magical friend like that. Your kitchen looks fabulous. -stopping by from Backyard Eden.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Becca! I love this. Not only do you have beautiful cabinetry, extra storage and a wine fridge, but you can put wonderful things up top to display! I think your backsplash turned out really well It looks great.

    Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours this week. I am definitely looking forward to seeing more of your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Becca,
    Your new dry bar look wonderful. I noticed I have the same large rustic Lazy Susan as you!
    I'm celebrating my 1st blogiversary with a giveaway, drop by for a visit if you can.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  33. I was going to ask where you got the cute chandy and shades, but I think that must be the old one from your fining room? Is it :( I was hoping I could find one like it. I bet they aren't available anymore. I LOVE everything you do!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I will have a glass of champagne please!!! Love it!!! We are about to have a built in done on our living room wall. We made it back from Europe all in one piece and had the best time!! Love the dry bar and the table top accessories. I adore the wine corks around the candle! Lovely, lovely, lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hey Jemsmom !! I'm glad you made it back safe and sound !! That's wonderful that you had such a great time ... now's the perfect time to start your blog so you can post pics !! And, thanks for your sweet comments about my breakfast area ... always a work in progress !! Tell me more about your trip. Hugs, Becca

    ReplyDelete
  36. I can see you are a girl that likes reds, greens, and gold. Those have been my go to colors to. Don't they just make you happy.
    Love what you did with the laundry room. I just redid mine last fall and I went much more modern and BLUE ( I know, shocking) but I love your take. I also love the monkeys and have some valences with this kind of treatment - much to my mom's dismay. :) Oh well. It's a good thing we don't all go for the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Becca,

    Your home is beautiful. I love all the warm colors. That lazy susan is quite charming, love how you accented it.

    Talk to you soon ;)
    Bunny Jean

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hey girl!! Palm trees covered in snow is definitely an interesting thing. I found a website that will publish your blog called Blog to Print so I am going to do my trip with pictures, publish it, and then start showing the inside of my not finished house! I usually have a vision with a home, but I just don't have it here! Maybe I should use my blog as a what is your vote type thing to guide me. You know how on the Today show they do the wedding and viewers pick everything. Maybe that should be my guide on decorating my house!! I will definitely start showing you around after I wrap up the trip! Invite is still open if you want to come on down and decorate!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!