Sunday, September 28, 2014

Our New Great Room ...

Greetings, friends!  

Here we are ... in an empty great room ... just as it looked right before we moved in:


And, here we are AFTER!  Welcome to our new great room ... all ready for Fall!  One of the first things we did was to have the hardwood continued in here.  It's all throughout the rest of the first floor, so, we decided to bite the bullet and had it done right after we moved in (by the same company who installed the hardwood on the rest of the entire first floor) ... this way, we knew we were getting the same "dye lot" as the rest of the rooms.


Do you ever let your rooms "speak to you" to let you know how they want to be decorated?  Well, I do ... annnnnd, apparently, this space told me that it wanted for me to trade out our wheat colored sofa for a white EKTORP sofa from IKEA ... to add white/beige buffalo check curtains (also from IKEA), along with bamboo roman shades ... and to throw in black accents!  


Colorful "Fall" pillows from Kirkland's (mixed with white/burlap trim pillows and a single burlap pillow from Pottery Barn) warm up the sofa.  An inexpensive throw (from IKEA) adds just a little bit of texture (and warmth on our now chilly mornings).


Simple Fall stems in a glass demijohn stand loud and proud on the sofa table.  And, I couldn't help but flank it with two chunky matching wooden corbels from Home Goods.



I traded out our gold and glass coffee table for our wooden one (from Pottery Barn) to help with the warm and cozy feeling I was going for in here.  (Again, the room "told" me to do this)!


And, here's our "revamped" Fall mantel (yes, I changed it again)!  


I love how crisp the black and white are together, paired with the beautiful colors of Fall.  And, because of this new color palette, I have a feeling I'll simply have to try my hand at a Halloween mantel this year, too!



Moving on around the room, you'll spy our TV ... the builder added an outlet and cable box above the fireplace, BUT, I'm just not a fan of having the TV over the fireplace if I can help it ... you guys know that I "need" that space above the mantel to be able to decorate!


I covered our torn up ottoman top with burlap and threw another comfy throw from IKEA on there ... it's all about the layers during the upcoming months, isn't it?


After looking and looking and LOOKING for nice black and white photos to frame, I turned to one of our "coffee table" books, which had pictures that I love!  Yes, I removed certain pages I wanted to frame (shame), BUT, I look at it as though now I'm showcasing the beautiful pictures instead of hiding them.  


I carried the buffalo check pattern to the other side of the room by folding extra fabric over the back of one of the wing chairs ... of course, I had to add an orange faux pumpkin and black book to balance the colors around the room!  


And, when you're sitting in that wing chair, this is your little ol' view ...


Of course, I had to mirror the photos that I did on the other side of the room on each side of our window.  It's all about "OCD balance" folks.


Just for grins, let's look again: 


AFTER!


Thanks for stopping by!

post signature

46 comments:

  1. Wow, it's gorgeous Becca! It is warm and your "room" spoke to you well. The pillows are fabulous as well as the new framed book prints. Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becca! Your family room looks so warm and inviting! The fall accents really add a nice pop of color! Your new home is beautiful! Happy decorating!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, beautiful Becca.
    So you!
    It really came together wonderfully!!
    Happy first Fall in your new home :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love it Becca. I have beige and white check drapes in my familyroom and I love how I can add so many different fabrics and colors with them. Great room, I love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your room sure knows how to talk. The room is beautiful Becca.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love it.. I especially love the piece your T.V. is sitting on. The room is so welcoming.
    fondly ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love it.. I especially love the piece your T.V. is sitting on. The room is so welcoming.
    fondly ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful room. Thanks for the tutorial. I have a hard time pulling my room together past just matching colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it all, Becca and I may need to go to Ikea for those drapes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love it all!! Even though I'm not an orange girl, your room is fabulous!! I saw a picture that you would like for Christmas (ha-I'm that one that loves Christmas). It is at Kohls and it is a winter scene in black and white, just a thought!! Enjoy your room, every view is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Becca! Oh your room is just stunning! Love the white and black and the drapes look perfect! I haven't been to Ikea in so long and now I see a trip in my future. Love your beautiful decorating style.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great room, Becca! I love the size and those gorgeous new floors too. The colours are very pretty and you are great at balancing everything. That was a great idea to use the book for your photos, especially if you really like them. Love the beige and white check. I have the same check pillows from IKEA but mine are grey and white. I didn't see the beige and white or it would have been a tough choice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My rooms talk to me too. They keep saying "Copy Becca, copy Becca!" Think it's time I started listening.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Becca,, this is so pretty! When your rooms speak, you listen well...lol! Love the black and white with the pops of fall color. It is so crisp and fresh; yet, very cozy! I am sure you are having a fabulous time with your decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just beautiful! I love how light and bright everything is. You chose wonderful furnishings and accessories for your room.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Becca, it looks beautiful! Love the drapes and all the COLOR!!!! Happy Fall!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love everything about this room! Love the Fall colors, the black and white pictures on the wall and those curtains. I'm off to find them online to make sure they are in stock by me ;)
    Thank you for sharing, can't wait to see the other rooms in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Becca, your home is so cozy! The curtains are amazing along with the all the accessories !! <3 it!

    Paige.Rose

    www.TheQuaintSanctuary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Becca, I would love to know where I could purchase that orange throw! LOVE YOUR ROOM!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, kksmom ... I found the throw at Tuesday Morning last year, but, they may have them back again this year. I've seen similar ones at Home Goods, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey, Pretty Lady! I've missed so many of your posts and I didn't even know you had moved! I'll be sure to go back and see what I've missed. This is a beautiful room, done in "Becca Style"! It's so big! I am so loving buffalo check and I think the black adds a nice balance. This is such a chic but cozy room, I just love it! :)

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Becca,
    I ADORE your decorating style!! Would you kindly tell me the name of your drapes?? Those are absolutely perfect and I'm unable to find anything but the Berta Ruta fabric. Did you make them with just fabric? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Another beautiful room, Becca! Can you tell me where you found your Roman shades? I think something like that might work in my room...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh it's so pretty! I love your new sofa and the crisp white and black colorscheme that you have. You'll have so much flexibility with that. Your pops of orange in the room are perfect for Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing, Becca, just how knowledgeable, albeit rather bossy, that great room is! I think it's been reading your mind behind your back, because this looks so much like a "Becca Original" to me......so glad you listened to what the room told you to do, because it is glorious! I love everything!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sooo pretty, Becca! Your new home looks so beautiful! You sure know how to make a place warm and inviting. I love the drapes! I have been looking for exactly those ones for my home library. I didn't know IKEA sold them. Very pretty! Have a good week. xoxo Maria

    ReplyDelete
  27. Becca,
    WOW!!! Your Great Room is so lovely, you did a fabulous job putting it altogether. I love the basket that says warmth, such a cute idea! Gotta tell you, I love your floors....pretty, pretty, pretty! The colors and arrangement of the furniture is top notch, my friend! I wanna see more....:) xo, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your family room is gorgeous Becca! You've done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It looks great, Becca! Love that you just went with what the room was telling you. The curtains are great. Love the buffalo check. I'm not a fan of televisions over the fireplace either and was glad we didn't go that route here. I'm sure it looks wonderful from any angle, but that certainly is a pretty nice view from the chair!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the wall color. What is it?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful room! I love the wall color, I'm actually going in the morning to pick out the perfect neutral. Do you mind sharing what the color is? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love your room; looks so welcoming and comfy. I've been looking for a coffee table and sofa table; where did you get yours?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Becca, this is great! Did you buy those curtains recently? I don't see them on the IKEA website anymore! :(

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks, Holly and Alicia! The wall color is Ben Moore's Manchester Tan.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Shannon ... it's actually fabric, not pre-made curtains. Here's the link:

    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30217121/

    The only "bad" thing is that they don't sell it online ... so, if you don't have an IKEA near you, hopefully, you have a friend or family member who is who would go grab some for you! (At only $8.99/yd, it's worth the shipping fee!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. BEAUTIFUL Becca...I love every single detail!! I have the matching duvet in my master like your curtains...love the buffalo check!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Everything looks beautiful Becca. Enjoying watching you transform the new place.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Becca, your family room is lovely! I love all the pops of color you added for Fall! The Buffalo checked drapes are a fabulous accent in this room! The Pottery Barn table is perfect; I love the natural wood top! Your revamped mantle is great! Your family room is ready for a magazine feature!

    ReplyDelete
  39. The room is great! Did you use the IKEA fabric for the curtains or does IKEA have panels ready made? I didn't see any on their site. :-(
    Your room has made me seriously consider switching from my cool grey/blue colors to nice warm colors!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oops! I just noticed I wasn't the only one curious about the curtains! lol

    ReplyDelete
  41. Where did you get your demijohn vase from? So pretty! Love your blog and home!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for sharing, nice post!

    Máy đưa võng hay võng điện cho bé hay vong dua em be giúp bé ngủ ngon mà vong dua tu dong cho em be không tốn sức ru võng của bố mẹ. Võng tự động hay vong ru tu dong cho be chắc chắn, gọn gàng, dễ tháo xếp, dễ di chuyển và may dua vong dễ dàng bảo quản. Lợi ích mà máy đưa võng tự động vô cùng thiết thực.
    Chia sẻ các mẹ không nên cho trẻ dưới 6 tháng tuổi uống nước hay mẹo giúp tăng cường trí nhớ hiệu quả, kinh nghiệm trị tiêu chảy cho bé bằng cà rốt hiệu quả, những thực phẩm giúp cải thiện trí nhớ hiệu quả, bí quyết trị sẹo thâm bằng rau má, chia sẻ kinh nghiệm thực phẩm giúp trẻ thông minh hơn, mẹo hay giúp trẻ thích ăn rau hay cách giúp trẻ hạ sốt nhanh hiệu quả, bệnh viêm khớp không nên ăn gì, một số mẹo giúp giảm độ cận thị cho bạn, bí quyết chống nắng với cà chua cực hiệu quả hay những thực phẩm giúp tóc mọc nhanh hiệu quả, cách giúp bé ngủ ngon giấcthực phẩm giúp bé ngủ ngon mẹ nên biết, chia sẻ cách làm trắng da toàn thân bằng thực phẩm, những món ăn chữa bệnh mất ngủ giúp ngủ ngon, mách mẹ mẹo giúp bé không sốt khi mọc răng hiệu quả
    Những thực phẩm tốt cho da tại http://thucphamtotchoda.blogspot.com/
    Chăm sóc da mặt ở http://chamsocdamato.blogspot.com/
    Cách chăm sóc da mặt bằng http://cachchamsocdamatbang.blogspot.com/
    Dạy trẻ sơ sinh tại http://daytresosinh.blogspot.com/
    Bí quyết giảm cân hay tại http://biquyetgiamcanhay.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!