Thursday, March 20, 2014

Styling our Spring Mantel

Happy first day of SPRING!

Thank you ALL so very much for your thoughtful comments about our recent photo shoot with Gridley + Graves!  

Because Anne and Gary wanted a more "neutral" decor for the shoot, I wasn't able to splash bunnies and eggs around until after they left.  And, since I get quite a few emails asking about the method to my madness when it comes to decorating our mantel and other vignettes, I thought I'd drag you guys along for the ride as I dress our fireplace for Spring.

Sooo, here's where I start ... with one big ol' boring, blank slate:


Admittedly, when I'm styling, I like to start in the middle first.  That's when I dug out this iron piece from under my son's bed!  After blowing off the dust, I decided to paint the dark wood frame AS Duck Egg Blue and paint the interior iron pieces AS Pure White to fit in better with the lighter look I'm going for!  I then added our poor, "beat up" egg wreath (from HomeGoods) for a fun and seasonal centerpiece:


Next, I like to balance my focal point with "neighbors" (usually, twins)!  Ha.  Yes, those who know me best understand how sickeningly symmetrical I am.  My feng shui just feels better this way ...


Now, it's time to add a centerpiece to sit on the mantel ... that's when this cute, little bunny family hopped on over.  And, since my OCD tendencies for odd numbers is always present, I decided to prop Father Bunny on a yellow stand to tie in with the pretty yellow flowers:


Next, it's time to fill in a bit of the "dead space" on either side of the bunnies ... that's where my silver candlesticks (from IKEA and HomeGoods) come into play ... twins, again (surprise, surprise)!  


Hmmmm ... our bunnies need a few eggs scattered around!


Almost done!  We're just missing one, last, whimsical element.  

THERE we go ... that's a little better (thanks to our cute "SPRING" banner from Target, which is making a return appearance for the 3rd year).


If our mantel could sing right now, I think it just might be belting out my favorite song "HAPPY," by Pharrell!






And, there ya' have it ... from sad to SPRING!


Our little ol' fireplace is a bit happier now that it's dressed for the season, although, admittedly, I need to add a pop of yellow on the hearth to make it "just right!"  Come back soon!


Thanks so much for stopping by ... 

Becca

29 comments:

  1. I love symmetry too. Just popped up off chaise to re-style my spring mantel. Thanks for the ideas. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty, Becca! Love the light colors you used. That piece you used in the middle looks great with the Duck Egg and White.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... and I thought I was done with mine. You do realize I will be tweaking it now :)
    Luv your whimsical touches Becca.
    Happy today.
    hugs, Gee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous and so springy. :)

    I'm having a little give away. Come by if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I LOVE this! I'm the same with with the symmetry. Try as hard as I can to get away from it I get so twitchy - just like a bunny's nose! I really liked the yellow cake stand under the bunny to tie in three pops of yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Spring! I love the Target banner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Becca I Love it!!!

    my fireplace/mantel is almost exactly the same as yours. ( apart from mine had a stinking tv in the top part).. don't even get me started!!!

    Anyways, I love symmetry too, I totally have the OCD gene from my Dad!

    anyways, it looks darling and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spring looks gorgeous at your house, Becca. I am so like you when it comes to symmetry. I like evenly balanced and have to fight myself to do it any other way. Your mantle is beautiful and that wreath on the iron piece is the perfect starting point- xoDiana

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE EvErYtHiNg! Sweet like candy! I love Easter decor. This is a very nice tutorial on decorating a mantel. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks SO much for posting this, Becca. Your gorgeous mantel was the inspiration for my own Ostara (Spring Equinox) mantel and, I suspect, will become a well-thumbed article for future makeovers. Now that I've seen it done properly, I can even return to my preferred symmetrical roots, without feeling like I crawled out of the dark ages! :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! I am a symmetry gal myself when it comes to the mantel. I love all the color bouncing off of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's always good to see how the experts get "the look"! i think i need to get my "spring on" soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very, very sweet and so pretty, Becca! How is the house sale going? The real estate market here is a lot better than it was a couple of years ago, so I'm hoping that's true in your area, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, thank you so very much, Sue ... celebrate your symmetry with me!! LOL Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL ... thank you so much "gibbygoo!" You're much too kind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Shannon! And, LOL ... I get twitchy, too, if I stray away from the symmetrical look "too" much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You rock the world with your gorgeous mantels!!!...and I love how you also use symmetry. Gorgeous as always Becca!...Have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! BTW, I am hopelessly symmetrical too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Becca this is so GORGEOUS!!! You always do such a great job with your mantle. PINNING!!!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your pretty Spring mantel!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good job Becca...it's beautiful. I loved the way you showed the building of your mantel showcase!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Becca, I love your mantel. Painting the iron piece was a great idea! It is a fabulous anchor for your mantel! Thanks for the tutorial on styling a mantel. Your mantels are always wonderful! I love the pastel colors!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so pretty! I hope you will share it at my NEW 'Home Sweet Garden' link up party every Tuesday starting April 1st! Love your shares... Happy Spring! Brooke www.creativecountrymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE it Becca! Once again I bow to the Queen of mantels! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  25. Becca, I've been following your blog for years and you never disappoint me with your creativity but today you had me scared..my first reaction was the wreath was too small for that space, then you kept adding this and that and somehow it all blends and compliments each other. I love it! I like synmetry too..What do you have your forsythia and apple blossom silks in? It is hard to tell from the pictures or I need new eyes! Are they small urns?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Becca, I think you are a seasonal decorator extraordinaire! LOVE this mantel... but I love everything you do! Are you going to Haven? Hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  27. its wonderful decorating. color combination is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  28. More and more families are moving their living rooms outside for spending cool and warm season in backyard. I found here ideas to create my own outdoor living room complete. Thanks for sharing.
    Outdoor Furniture

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!